Preventive maintenance is a proactive type of maintenance in its action was taken before breakdown maintenance and prevented failure of machines and also saves from equipment downtime.
Preventive maintenance can be done like weekly, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly, yearly some time also use a quote (prevention is better than cure) for preventive maintenance of many types of action to be taken to save unexpected machine failure. That is mention below.
- Periodical lubrication to change
- Daily LLF (look listen to feel) activity and fill up checklists
- Periodically inspect the machine and its accessories
- Overhauling and parts replacement if needed
- Condition monitoring of equipment
- Maintains equipment history record of all types of maintenance has done
Type of preventive maintenance
There are two types of preventive maintenance
1. Time-based maintenance
2. Uses biased maintenance
It is period maintenance like lube oil change, bearing change, grease change, wearing change etc. it is totally based on the life of the equipment part has gone or worn out as expected time as per designer. everything existing in the world has some life on the basis of this we decided to maintain.
Advantages and disadvantages of preventive maintenance
Advantages of preventive maintenance
1. Save from catastrophic failure.
2. Reduce downtime of equipment.
3. Planned maintenance (available for all resources).
4. Improve the quality and reliability of equipment.
5. Breakdown happens at the expected time.
6. Increased production rate.
Disadvantages of preventive maintenance
- Loss of resources.
- Maintenance Cost goes up.
- Unneeded maintenance of equipment.
- Labor intensive.
What is the difference between preventive and breakdown maintenance?
The main difference between is breakdown maintenance is upland maintenance sometimes the catastrophic failure occurs, spare unavailability whereas preventive maintenance is planned, every resource is available and reduces downtime of equipment and increase production.