Installation guide for grid Coupling
The installation guide for grid coupling provided by the manufacturer, in which torque settings for tightening of the set screws and bolts are also described within it. Some installations guide may contain additional data and dimensional information as well. The grid coupling is the assembly of two shaft hubs, grid, spring, set screw, lubrication, and cover. The grid coupling is ideal for connecting an engine or electric motor to fans, blowers, compressors, pumps, and other devices. Where some dampening of equipment vibration may be required. When the grid coupling can dampen as much as 30 percent of vibration or shock loading.
Tools Required for installation of grid Coupling
Let’s look at the tools By Which We will need to perform this Installation for grid assembling. These are the following.
|1. Lockout Tagout kit||2. Safety glasses|
|3. Set screws||4. Sockets for the cover bolts|
|5. Straight edge||6. Dial indicator|
|7. Vernier calipers||8. Micrometre to confirm the shaft sizes|
|9. A putty knife||10. Fine-tooth file|
|11. Flat blade screwdriver||12. soft-faced mallet|
|13. Strip of emery paper||14. Non-flammable cleaning solvent|
|15. A clean cloth and rubberized gloves||16. Calibrated torque wrench|
Step for installation of grid Couplings
- Before starting this installation process of grid Coupling, to be ensured each piece of equipment is in safe condition and de-energies, to prevent any accident. because due to wrongly start-up or start-up by communication gap, causes could be a danger to the person working on the equipment. This could be possible only follow the lockout tag out procedure defined by OSHA.
- When you receive the grid coupling, inspect each component to ensure that there are no visible defects, cracks, or damage from shipping or in manufacturing. You should check the bore size and tolerance before starting the installation. If both shaft and hub have key ways. Then make sure that the appropriate key ready to use when performing this installation. Ideally, the key should be the same length or slightly longer than the Hub to transmit the maximum allowable torque.
- Then inspect the shaft and should be clean from and up from any Burrs from the keyway or shaft machining, if found use a fine-tooth file to clean Burrs from the edge of the keyway or large dense in the shaft. Or the zero-size (100 number) sandpaper can be used to clear the shaft of rust or any corrosion.
- Finally, use a cloth with cleaning solvent to clean the shaft and coupling bore. We need to ensure that the surface of the shaft and keyway are clean and free of any dirt. The hub, grid, coupling spring, and cover accessories should also be cleaned to remove Coatings used to protect from corrosion and shipping.
- Before installing the hub lubricate both shaft surfaces, coupling seals and place one seal onto Each of the shafts, the seals can be stretched over the grid teeth but it is easier to place.
- Put the key in the keyway on both shafts. The key should fit tightly in the keyway without side-to-side movement, the end of the key should line up with the end of the shaft and then install the hub.
- Please note that the grid coupling hub sizes, 10, 20, through 1090 are manufactured with two set screws on each hub. clearance or slip fit Hub should slide onto the shafts without any difficulty.
- The Ring is a major component in grid Coupling, place both rings on each shaft. Then install a grid spring is made of steel to connect both shaft and place the spring in the grooves located on the ends of both Hubs. Tossing torque is transmitted between the two hubs through this grid spring.
- Carefully wrapped the grid spring around the hubs, lining up the grids with the Hub teeth. The grid spring will need to be stretched slightly and nudged into the slots, using a flat blade screwdriver, finishing with a soft-faced Hammer. Regular steel-faced Hammer will damage the grid spring and possibly the teeth on the hubs, and should not be used when the grid spring is completely seated. Take a putty knife, preferably one with a soft blade, and smear the remaining grease around the outside of the grid spring.
- Position one of the cover under the grid assembly and line up the grooves with the seals place the two pieces of gasket material into position on the two sides of the cover. Then take the second cover half and make sure the match marks on the end of the cover part line up with the same end of the coupling. This ensures the recesses in the cover, where the faster nuts will be located, are 180 degrees apart then line up the seals and press the cover together. Insert the fasteners with the nuts fit into holes, tighten each bolt until all are assembled. Then we tighten each Fastener to the torque specified torque wrench as per the installation guide.
- Mostly Hub for coupling sizes 1100 and larger size manufactured with interference or Shrink fit, and the installation guide booklet contains details on how to prepare these hubs for installation, regardless of size, keys, and the Hub should be flush with the ends of the shafts.
- During the installation of grid coupling hubs with clearance fit bore and two set screws. Tighten the set screws in both Hubs to the torque specified in the installation guide by the manufacturer With the help of the torque wrench. The use of a torque wrench is very important because the set screws are not tightened enough. The Hub will lose and slide on the shaft during the operation, or the set screws are too tight that can damage the key, shaft, or the hub.
👉👉 What are flexible coupling and An overview of flexible coupling
Check alignment of both shaft
- After the installation of both hubs you should proceed to check alignment between each other for both shafts.
- Fix the clamp for check element with a dial gauge, then Carefully move the equipment into position until the distance between the hubs match each other. The hubs Gap listed in the installation guide by the manufacturer within plus or minus 10% can be check with the use of a spacer bar that is the same thickness as the gap or by measuring the separation with Vernier calipers.
- The angular and parallel alignment of the equipment Shafts is critical to the life and performance of The Grid Coupling. the maximum angular misalignment is only one-quarter of a degree and the maximum parallel misalignment is listed in the installation guide. To check the basic alignment, start by laying a straight edge across the major diameter of the hubs. The maximum allowable parallel offset should not exceed the amount for your particular, coupling size as specified in the installation guide.
- The angular and axial alignment can be checked using either a spacer bar, filler gauge, or Vernier calipers to measure the gap between the phases of the hubs. If space permits this measurement should be taken as close as possible to the edge of the grid teeth at four different locations, around the coupling three 90, 180, 270 degrees.
- The difference between any two of these measurements should fall within the range specified by the manufacturer. In the installation guide Under the Heading angular, if the deviation exceeds the angular value specified, you will need to realign the equipment to correct this condition.
Check the alignment by using a dial gauge
- If using a dial indicator to check the parallel alignment by Mount the indicator on the driver shaft with the pointer touching the hub on the opposite shaft. Rotate the shaft with the indicator to the 90 degrees, 180, 270,, and finally 0-degree positions, and make notes of the deviation on the dial. This deviation exceeds the value in the column labeled parallel. You will need to realign the equipment until correct the condition.
Advantages of grid coupling
The flexible spring allows coupling to accommodate misalignment and dampen vibration for this to happen, the metal grid, spring rubs on the teeth around the Hub resulting in friction and the need for lubrication.
The lubrication used must be appropriate for coupling speed and torque transmission. Greased logs that provide a list of acceptable lubricants specification details. In the installation guide grease is provided with coupling sizes, 10 20 through 1090. To install the grid spring, you will need to rotate the Hub So the teeth of the Hobs are in line, then smear a light coat of coupling grease around the teeth on the hubs.
Important instruction to install grid coupling
- In the installation guide before, starting up the coupling, make sure the grease holes are plugged with the grease plugs provided When the installation is complete and the equipment is aligned to meet specifications, remove tooling and material away from the shafting and coupling double-check the tightness of all screws or Fasteners with a calibrated torque wrench. then prepare for testing install, the appropriate coupling guard. OSHA requirements and remove the lockout tagout kit from the power supply. The equipment can then be started up to check the coupling for any possible grease leaks or abnormalities the coupling and equipment should run smoothly. If any vibration is detected, it could indicate their alignment issues or other problems possibly related to the motor coupling or driven equipment. These issues should be resolved before place this coupling into operation. This concludes this is complete for the installation of new grid coupling.
- When properly select Coupling with horizontal split cover, you should have two standard grid hubs a grid spring to cover the whole assembly, two seals, and other hardware.
- But in the cause of large size grid couplings, the grid springs are made with multiple segments for easy installation such as this size 1080 mm.
To read all about coupling follow the links
- What is coupling and types of coupling – Parts 1 👈👈👈
- What is flexible coupling and types of flexible coupling – Parts 2 👈👈👈
- What is rigid coupling and types of rigid coupling -Parts 3 👈👈👈
- What is fluid coupling and types of fluid coupling – Parts 4 👈👈👈
- What is grid coupling and types of grid coupling – Parts 5 👈👈👈
- What is gear coupling and types of gear coupling – Parts 6 👈👈👈