ASTM A216 Gr WCB
ASTM A216 Gr WCB is a versatile material that is commonly used in fabrications and welding operations. With its superior strength and high ductility, this material provides many advantages for a wide range of applications. Learn more about the properties of ASTM A216 Gr WCB and its benefits in this guide.
What is ASTM A216 Gr WCB?
ASTM A216 Gr WCB is a type of casting alloy made up of iron and carbon, developed to meet the demands of applications requiring high strength and excellent resistance to corrosion. This material offers superior wear and heat-resistance capabilities and is commonly used in demanding fabrication scenarios when welding operations are required.
Key Benefits of ASTM A216 Gr WCB
ASTM A216 Gr WCB offers several benefits when used in fabrication and welding operations. It is known for its superior strength, excellent corrosion resistance, and superior wear-resistance capabilities. In addition, this type of alloy is incredibly easy to work with and can be cut, machined or welded with ease. Furthermore, it provides an excellent bonding surface due to its ability to retain heat energy during welding operations.
Uses of ASTM A216 Gr WCB in the Petrochemical Industry
ASTM A216 Gr WCB is a particularly useful material in the petrochemical industry, due to its superior corrosion resistance and superior wear-resistance. This type of alloy is often used in the manufacture of vessels, pipe fittings, centrifuges, valves, pumps, and other components of machines used in oil refineries and petrochemical plants. Furthermore, it can also be used as an effective lining for tanks containing hydrocarbons or other hazardous materials.
Welding of ASTM A216 Gr WCB and Typical Welding Procedure Recommendations
Welding of ASTM A216 Gr WCB is highly effective, and welders have a few processes available to them when fabricating with this material. Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) are the two most commonly used techniques for welding ASTM A216 Gr WCB components. For optimal results, operators should use GTAW as it provides an inert shielded environment that helps reduce chemical exposure while it also produces minimal thermal distortion compared to SMAW.
Applications, Dimensions and Specifications for ASTM A216 Gr WCB Steel Castings
ASTM A216 Gr WCB steel castings are suitable for use in a wide range of applications, including those subject to high temperature and pressure. The material is available in a range of dimensions and specifications including dimensions that range from 1.50 inches to 8 inches with wall thicknesses 1/8 inches and up. Standard grades are listed as Grade B and Grade C, but custom grades can also be specified for special applications.
- ASTM A216 Grade WCB is a high-density steel alloy with a density of 7.82 g/cm3 (or 488 lb/ft3).
- ASTM A216 Gr WCB is a grade of steel with an elastic modulus of 210 GPa (30 x 106 psi).
- ASTM A216 GR WCB refers to the grade of steel used in manufacturing.
- This grade of steel has an elongation value of 25% when it is subjected to a tensile stress test.
- The Specific Heat Capacity of ASTM A216 Gr WCB is 450 J/kg-K.
- ASTM A216 gr WCB is a steel grade that boasts a strength-to-weight ratio of 73 kN-m/kg.
- ASTM A216 Grade WCB is a carbon steel material that has a ultimate tensile strength of 570 Megapascals (MPa) or 83 thousand pounds per square inch (103 psi).
- ASTM A216 Gr WCB is a steel alloy with a yield strength of 280 MPa (41×103 psi).
- ASTM A216 Gr WCB has a thermal expansion coefficient of 11.9 µm/m-K.
- which is the amount it expands for each degree Kelvin increases in temperature.
ASTM A216 Materials Chemical
|Grades||Iron (Fe)||Residuals||Manganese (Mn)||Silicon (Si)||Carbon (C)||Sulfur (S)||Phosphorus (P)|
|Grade B||97 to 100 %||0 to 1.0 %||0 to 1 %||0 to 0.6 %||1 to 0.3 %||0 to 0.045 %||0 to 0.04 %|
Mechanical Properties Charts Of ASTM A216 Grade WCB
|Mechanical Properties||ASTM A216 Grade WCB Cast Steel|
|Density:||7.82 g/cm3 (488 lb/ft3)|
|Elastic (Young’s, Tensile) Modulus:||210 GPa (30 x 106 psi)|
|Elongation at Break:||25 %|
|Specific Heat Capacity:||450 J/kg-K|
|Strength to Weight Ratio:||73 kN-m/kg|
|Tensile Strength: Ultimate (UTS):||570 MPa (83 x 103 psi)|
|Tensile Strength||280 MPa (41 x 103 psi)|
|Thermal Expansion:||11.9 µm/m-K|