What is the role of a maintenance engineer?
The main role of a maintenance engineer is
- Maintaining the equipment.
- Reduce maintenance costs.
- Keep the plants running at reliability and at full capacity.
- Reduces resources like human effort and assets.
- Inspection of the equipment on a routine basis.
- Analysis of the criticality of equipment on the basis of RPN number after which we will discuss it.
- Troubleshooting malfunctioning equipment.
- Manpower management is used in plants to minimize the maintenance cost.
- Overhauling of equipment and its maintenance.
- Make a decision about what type of maintenance to do on equipment, either overhauling or inspection and cleaning only. this is a very important and decision making role.
- Accept safety and follow safety rules and guidelines.
- Aware of the risks and hazards that could happen during the maintenance of the equipment.
There are two types of overhauling maintenance
- Partially overhauling
- Complete overhaul
What qualifications are required to be a maintenance engineer?
Who can apply as a maintenance engineer?
- Btech in Mechanical Engineering
- Btech in Electrical Engineering
- B tech in instrument engineering
- Btech in Civil Engineering
- Btech in automobile engineering
Junior Maintenance Engineer
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in automobile engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
Responsibility of maintenance engineers
- Maintenanceaintenance engineer should have good communication skills.
- Should be time punctual
- Availability when required, ability to work on large equipment as well as small equipment.
- Good knowledge of reading and understanding of drawing readings like ISO drawings, general drawings (GA), cross-sectional drawings, etc.
- Awareness of soft skills like excel, PowerPoint, MS word, SAP pm, Microsoft project.
- Are you working in a plant? Itself to ensure that he is aware of all equipment maintenance and safety hazards.
- Maintenance engineers should have good knowledge about the inspection of plant machinery equipment parts.
There are many types of maintenance needed.
Skills required for a maintenance engineer.
- Inventory control and spare planning.
- Prepare permits, planning to schedule.
- Maintain a recorded history of equipment
- Analysis of equipment criticality RPN numbers.
- Every department has its own maintenance engineer and each maintenance engineer has a different role, responsibility, and skill required.